Frequently asked questions
Can I administer first aid to children?
- Any action performed in behalf of the parent (in loco parentis) should be with the prior written consent of the parents.
- Always ensure that you have a contact telephone number for parents and advise of any incidents occurring where such treatment may be required.
- All instructors should hold a current First Aid certificate and ensure that their training is kept up to date.
What do I do if a parent fails to collect a child on time?
- It is necessary for parents to be made aware of the collection times when a child begins practice.
- Never remain alone with a child after practice has ended. Ensure that another adult remains with you.
- Do not take a child home alone in your car: first priority is to contact the parents.
- Also, be aware of the validity of your insurance for carrying such passengers in the event that you (and an accompanying adult) are obliged to take the child home: this should be a last resort.
Am I permitted to allow the taking of photographs of under 18s?
Only with the written consent of the parents. It is important to clarify the nature of any photos, e.g., ‘action’ photos during practice or group photos of children sat together.
What is abuse?
Abuse can take many forms: it can be physical, sexual, psychological, emotional, neglect.
What do I do if a child approaches me telling of abuse occurring elsewhere?
- Stay calm;
- Discuss the matter quietly and confidentially but ensure that you do so in an open environment, e.g., take the child perhaps to a corner of the mat but ensure that you remain in view of other instructors/ adults;
- Assure the child that they are not to blame;
- Do not ask leading questions: let the child speak and ask open questions, only if necessary;
- It is not up to you to decide whether abuse is occurring or not: instead raise any concerns you have through the correct channels, i.e., local Social Services, the police, NSPCC helpline (0808 800 5000) or Childline (0800 1111) or BKS Child Protection Officer.
Claire can be contacted by e-mail at email@example.com or by telephone on 07761 834668.